µ-velOSity real-time operating system (RTOS)
The µ-velOSity RTOS is the smallest of Green Hills Software's family of real-time operating systems. Implemented as a C library, it can be easily ported to a number of target architectures. It has a streamlined design and is tightly integrated with the MULTI IDE, making µ-velOSity both easy-to-learn and simple-to-use.
µ-velOSity offers a clear, concise API that reduces development time and improves product maintainability. As a result, you can cut costs and speed time-to-market. For developers moving from standalone or no-OS configurations, µ-velOSity provides essential kernel features,:
- multi-tasking functionality
- hardware abstraction
- resource allocation and management
- real-time response
- integrated middleware support for TCP/IP, MS/DOS and flash file system,
USB device/mass storage class, and embedded graphics. With µ-velOSity you
will reduce both development costs and time-to-market.
With its efficient design and minimal footprint, µ-velOSity fits better in on-chip memory than competing products. Eliminating the need to access off-chip memory dramatically increases execution speed.
µ-velOSity was designed to minimize the number of CPU clock cycles needed to boot, which is critical in embedded devices that require extremely fast boot times. µ-velOSity is also the ideal RTOS for embedded devices with stringent power requirements. µ-velOSity has been running in systems operating continuously for over 10 years—on just a single AA battery.
Other operating systems require additional space in each task’s stack for interrupt handling—a method that wastes critical memory resources. For designs with nested interrupts, this waste can be extreme. To reduce the amount of RAM each task requires, µ-velOSity uses a separate run-time stack for interrupt handling. In addition, the Green Hills compiler can automatically insert stack overflow checking so you can uncover and fix these tough-to-find bugs before deployment.
µ-velOSity takes full advantage of Green Hills compiler optimizations that reduce code size and increase execution speed. In addition, µ-velOSity’s ultra-fast context switch time and fast kernel service call times make it ideal for systems where CPU resources are at a premium.
Green Hills Software has been providing tools for developing and debugging embedded systems for over 30 years. With µ-velOSity, you can leverage the most comprehensive suite of embedded development tools available to realize complete application control and visibility. These include:
- Hardware debug devices, including the Green Hills Probe and SuperTrace Probe let you download code to your target for kernel-aware debugging and run-control right out of the box.
- Target simulators to provide instruction accurate hostbased simulation environments for µ-velOSity when hardware is not yet available or in limited supply.
- Optimizing compilers for C, C++, Embedded C++ and MISRA C support the µ-velOSity kernel. These compilers generate the smallest footprint and fastest executing code in the industry.
- The New Project Wizard for µ-velOSity provides project templates and application examples to help users get up and running with µ-velOSity in minutes.
- MULTI development tools for µ-velOSity includes simultaneous multiple task debugging integrated with profiling and code coverage visibility for advanced source-level debugging.
- The TimeMachine debugger helps you find bugs faster and optimize system performance. TimeMachine can greatly enhance system visibility, significantly reducing development time and helping developers to create higher performance, more reliable device software.
- Kernel-aware debugging allows developers to easily view detailed
information about µ-velOSity kernel
objects, such as tasks and semaphores. Summaries of all objects of
a certain type and extensive information about specific kernel objects
are made possible by µ-velOSity's tight
integration with the MULTI debugger.