Green Hills Platform for In-Vehicle Infotainment
Automakers and their electronics suppliers face a new world of In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) opportunities and challenges. Consumers increasingly want their cars to be a plug-and-play "entertainment system on wheels" offering the latest multimedia, gaming, location awareness, communications, and personalized services—all of the features they already enjoy on their smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. In addition, automakers are eyeing app stores, both open source and proprietary, for branding opportunities and as new revenue streams.
Not long ago, an in-dash CD changer was considered advanced for in-car entertainment, but in-vehicle infotainment systems today integrate an ever-growing array of entertainment and multimedia features. Software size and complexity is exploding as a result. It's reported that IVI systems today require upwards of 20 million lines of code—and growing. Despite so much software content, IVI systems must still meet the required automotive robustness within traditional automotive cost, size, weight, and power budgets.
Based on Green Hills INTEGRITY separation kernel, the INTEGRITY Multivisor virtualization solution is the only industry virtualization platform that enables all these features in a single offering. Companies that select Green Hills In-Vehicle Infotainment Platform as the foundation for their next generation IVI system will gain significant advantages over their competition through benefits that include reduced development time and cost, widest breadth of scalability, higher system reliability, and advanced system security.
In-vehicle infotainment architecture must be safe, secure and reliable. The Green Hills Platform for In-Vehicle Infotainment is built on INTEGRITY real-time operating system (RTOS) technology, certified at the world's highest safety and security levels enabling IVI developers to develop and deploy with confidence.
INTEGRITY's memory protection, microkernel architecture, and virtual device driver paradigm ensure that the core kernel is impervious to the software bugs that inevitably surface in a sophisticated infotainment system. Beyond memory protection, however, INTEGRITY guarantees the necessary memory and CPU resources that each application needs to operate. A problem in a lower criticality subsystem cannot affect the operation of the higher criticality subsystem. The same partitioning and resource guarantee capabilities protect the infotainment applications from Internet-borne worms or viruses. Even if a virus were to get into the system, existing applications cannot be starved of memory or CPU time. Similarly, a bug or design flaw in a less critical component cannot affect another independent component.
INTEGRITY's worst case interrupt latency is known, short, and bounded. As a result, real-time management of audio, video and communications channels—such as CAN—can be guaranteed, maximizing the passenger infotainment experience, while delivering the highest levels of system reliability.
Car owners expect their infotainment system to be ready for use immediately after they press the "on" button. INTEGRITY boots "instant-on," enabling time-critical functions such as rear-view camera to be up and working immediately.
Unlike other memory-protected operating systems, INTEGRITY never sacrifices real-time performance for security or safety. INTEGRITY is up and executing the most critical system tasks in milliseconds, while delivering guaranteed deterministic response, and hard real-time performance in a separation kernel architecture to support safe, secure execution of mixed criticality applications.
IVI systems must be highly scalable and must meet a broad range of market requirements, so IVI developers need a flexible software architecture that scales easily.
INTEGRITY Multivisor is a secure hypervisor based on INTEGRITY RTOS technology, and provides guaranteed partitioning for safe hosting of guest operating systems, real-time applications and peripheral driver software all running on single or multicore processors with or without hardware-assisted virtualization support. Systems developed today can be upgraded or otherwise enhanced for years to come.
A simple and inexpensive IVI system for an economy vehicle, for example, might include a small monochrome display, an aux port, and hands-free Bluetooth. Standalone INTEGRITY RTOS meets these requirements. A midrange system could demand a larger display with embedded navigation, Internet radio, location-based services and voice commands. It would also display basic vehicle dynamics available on the CAN bus. Here, INTEGRITY Multivisor enables a guest operating system such as Android plus a separate and secure partition running a CAN bus application through an OSEK or AUTOSAR interface.
As for the luxury IVI system, the developer's imagination is the limit. Another guest operating system and its app store can be added; more real-time tasks and secure communication to the cloud or other connected cars. The Green Hills Platform for Infotainment offers a solid foundation for developers to satisfy IVI requirements for every model in an automaker's line.
Scalable Family of Real-Time Operating Systems and Secure Virtualization
- Safe — INTEGRITY RTOS technology is certified to the highest functional safety levels for IEC 61508 (SIL 4) & EN 50128 (SWSIL 4)
- Secure — INTEGRITY RTOS technology is certified to the highest security level ever achieved for any software product — Common Criteria SKPP, EAL6+ High Robustness
- Flexible — INTEGRITY Multivisor partitions high level guest OS and "App Stores" in secure sandboxes, with fast boot and military-grade security for connected-car communications
- Deeply Embedded — the µ-velOSity microkernel offers a tiny footprint and simple programming model for resource-limited systems
- Open — Automotive application programming interfaces to OSEK, AUTOSAR and POSIX
- Automotive connectivity including CAN, MOST, Wireless, USB, Bluetooth, and IPv4/v6 TCP/IP stack
- Graphics and UI Kits for 2D, 3D, OpenGL, Qt Commercial, HTML5
- Internet application offerings including web servers, HTML5, email and HTTP clients
- File systems featuring partition journaling, wear leveling flash storage and more
- Embedded firewall
- Secure communications protocols — SSL, SSH, IPSec, IKEv2, HTTPS, FIPS 140-2, Suite B crypto
Software Development tools
- MULTI IDE and Green Hills toolchain are qualified to the highest functional safety levels, including ISO 26262 (ASIL D) and IEC 61508 (SIL 4) and EN 50128 (SWSIL 4)
- Green Hills Optimizing Compilers for C, C++, and Embedded C++ generate the fastest and smallest production-quality code on a broad range of automotive processor architectures
- MULTI IDE includes multicore debugger, profiler, simulator, run-time error checking, project builder, editor and much more
- TimeMachine revolutionary debugging suite. Run and step an application back in time to find even the most difficult bugs in minutes.
- MISRA C Adherence Wizard for building in code quality at the time of compilation
- DoubleCheck integrated static source code analyzer
- Integration with MathWorks' Embedded Coder and Simulink for modeling, simulation and PIL testing
Hardware Development tools
- Green Hills Probe and SuperTrace Probe for multicore hardware bring-up, low-level debugging and trace-powered analysis tools
Device Lifecycle Management (DLM)
- Integrated products and services that enable embedded product manufacturers to monetize, manage and protect hardware and software intellectual property.
- System/software consulting
- Safety and security certification support
- BSP development & certification
Green Hills understands the value of providing integrated, total solutions directly to its in-vehicle infotainment customers. In addition to offering the industry's most comprehensive solutions, we have partnered with best-in-class technology providers to integrate their complementary products with the Green Hills Platform for In-Vehicle Infotainment, including:
- Accelerated 2D and 3D graphics, including OpenGL, OpenVG, HTML5 for latest GPU hardware
- Automotive connectivity including CAN, MOST, WLAN, USB, Bluetooth, Ethernet and more
- Databases and storage including embedded databases and flash devices
- Code Quality, test and management including automated testing and code coverage analysis tools
- Application Modeling & Simulation for building and evaluating applications early in the software lifecycle
- Network protocols and security for communication within the vehicle network and to the external world
- Automotive processors from leading semiconductor manufacturers
For a complete list of ecosystem partners for Green Hills Platforms for Automotive click here.